Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I/we (he) finally sanded today!

I finally started sanding my floors today.  I was anxious to do this because it's the LAST thing I'm making myself do before I move in.  That and the roof, but I can get the roof fixed while I'm in the house.  I'm not sanding around furniture.



ANYWAY.  I rented the sander, I got it to the house, my boyfriend helped me get it started and it took more than a few passes with the 40 grit sandpaper to get past the polyurethane in the back bedroom.  After that, he pretty much took over.




I tried to be helpful by sweeping behind him so the sandpaper didn't get clogged, then I wiped down the floors with paint thinner while he moved on to the next room, and I ran out for more water and dinner.



Anyway, it's 10 hours after I rented the thing and I still haven't finished the first step on all of the floors.  After getting a room and a half done, we were through two of the three packages of 40 grit paper and we had three more rooms to go.  I went for more sandpaper and got the girl to give me 36 grit this time, and it worked SO MUCH BETTER.  I also got duct tape so that the bag on the machine would be functional, but I'll be removing that before I return it.



So, tomorrow, I have 3 or 4 hours to finish sanding the dining room with the 36 grit, but I know I won't have time to make a pass with the 80 and 100 before it's time to return the sander (and go to work.)  So this will be a two-rental job after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment