Saturday, April 16, 2011

A girl can dream...

I haven't posted much about it, but my house has a garage that has been the bane of my existence since I bought it.. my mom called it a "blight," my friends said it was a shack pretending to be a garage, but the listing said it just needed some "TLC." Ha!  This is what I'm talking about:


Ack!
The first neighbor who visited me after I moved in wanted to talk to me about the plants growing on the other side of the garage, and the basketball hoop that had been drawing kids to play on the vacant property.  I've taken care of neither of these, oops!  But I DID get a roof on it!


Cue "Hallelujah!" Chorus, please.

Now that I have the garage protected from incoming rain, I feel comfortable going forward with all the OTHER plans I have for it.  The problems are many:

Broken doors let neighborhood feral cats in, who pee, so there's a smell
Poorly sloped concrete leaves a pool of water in the back of the garage
Trash from former residents and loitering kids on the "table" 
Plants have grown into the walls on the inside and outside
Wood siding needs to be re-fastened, scraped and painted OR torn down and replaced with siding to match the house
Fuses need to be replaced if I want to wire for electricity (yes)
Basketball hoop needs to be removed
Window needs to be replaced
Door needs to be replaced
Garage door needs to be removed and replaced or straightened and new windows put in
Driveway might need to be paved/graveled

Good god, that's a lot, isn't it?

First things first: I'm going to annihilate the "weed" (tree) growing up the side.  Then, some self-leveling concrete on the floor and garage floor paint.  

And someday...










source



A girl can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment