Monday, August 23, 2010

Oh my goodness..

Have I really not posted ANYTHING but craigslist couch updates?  Shame on me.

Here's a quick little update before I make another long "what should I do" post.

I finished the floors and they look great.  I ended up using 4 coats of polyurethane instead of the 3 I planned (and the 5 that maybe I should have done) and I used two different kinds of polyurethane.  On the first two coats, I used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane with a gloss finish.  I didn't sand between these coats and I started to feel bad about it so I sanded after the second coat and switched to Minwax Super-Fast Drying Polyurethane for Floors, because supposedly, you don't have to sand between coats if you don't let it dry for too long.  Well, I came back after the 3rd coat and hated it.  there were thin spots everywhere.  I did the last coat with the original Polyurethane and was happy again.

Some pictures from the process..



Down to the wood!



Choosing the stain..
stain, no gloss




A moth landed in the wet polyurethane!
I felt the need to add a reminder of what the floors USED to look like..

No comments:

Post a Comment